Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year!

It's been about two or three weeks, I guess, since I have entered anything in my blog, and I have updated with some new info and programs so I am anxious to see how it goes. I have much to catch up on as there is never a shortage of news (real and fiction). I sometimes jot my notes down as soon as it comes to me so I won't forget... This one is from 12-28-05:
*3 1/2 days until a new year. I feel a little better about the whole holiday(s) thing but I still feel stuck. In a way, I sense some seriously scary times coming. About 150 years ago, a woman named Ellen (Harmon) Gould-White began having these visions which were recorded verbatim, supposedly. She had a third grade education, allegedly, so some of the prose is advanced, I guess you could say, but anyway they were prophecies she was envisioning. They were based on Bible prophecies. The SDA church was built on the group that split from other Bible study groups that studied with her and today SDAs (7th Day Adventists) are all over the world, preaching their particular brand of Christianity. They have also built churches, schools and colleges as well as book centers, health food stores, hospitals and clinics worldwide. In her book, The Great Controversy, she breaks down religious history from ancient Israel on down through todays' modern times, filled and running over with scriptures to back up her "visions". This Great Controversy asserts that we must choose either God or Satan. That is the Great Controversy. Since I am a bookworm, I've read many of her books (The Desire of Ages, Ministry of Health, etc.) as well as other spiritual writers. They borrow from each other a lot. It's easy to do when your main source is an ancient book with no copyrights. Books help U to expand not only your vocabulary but also your creativity and imagination. In EG White's books, her prophecies may sound like doom and gloom reading but it fits right about now for me. It just all seems so ... "true". I read all kinds of things, especially about education, which I find sorely lacking in today's US public schools. Oh I am sure there are some good ones, and yes, school, like anything else, is partly what U make it, but sometimes, things are just out of our control, like today's mess in Iraq or the spying, (which I told y'all it was going on-- and it still is, right now!). The best thing I have ever read on education was a speech given in 1995 I believe, by NY Teacher of the Year Award Winner, John Taylor Gatto. It is aptly titled "The Public School Nightmare-Why fix a system designed to destroy individual thought?" Good question. I absolutely recommend that "everyone" read this paper. Go online to Kossor Educational Newsletter/index or go to www.tysknews.com and read this brilliant speech by Mr. Gatto. If all the ignorance plaguing this nation now isn't enough to convince U to take control of your child's education/future then read another brilliant paper: Dumbing Down America by Dr. Samuel Blumenfeld. I believe after reading these two papers you will look at public education in a different way. Hopefully, while reading them, the lightbulb will go off in your head, answering the questions to many of our ills. Other good books on true education are books by Dr. Jawanzaa Kunjufu, Naim Akbar, and online the Grandfather Educational Reports at www.mwhodges.home It gives the same information basically as the "little blue book, Lessons From Abroad, which is a comparative analysis of public education here in the US with several countries who outperform US students, such as Germany, Sweden, Japan, etc. Or, it might just depress you. I know politics and religion are dangerous (Luke 4) but politics in education is lethal, and well, that's what we've got. When someone gets money based on failure, well, U know the rest. Someone(s) has a vested interest in keeping us or dumbing us down!
More later. Later
http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/4914a9a34cbcc3dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home