Wednesday, May 17, 2006

05-17-06 Tribute to Damu Smith

I just wanted to say that a good man, lost his life to prostate cancer last week. I was up and about to go out when I heard on WPFW/89.3 about Brother Damu Smith, an activist in the Washington, DC area. He was about environmental justice and fighting discrimination and poverty. I remember hearing him and in January 2003 attending a Dr. Martin Luther King , Jr. celebration at his church, Plymouth Congregational. It was the best celebration of Dr. King's life and legacy EVER! I never felt so comfortable. It was filled with African dancers, and Dick Gregory's daughter, Iyana Spoke and sang and Ralph Nader was there. There were people from Chicago, St. Louis, New York, all over. Every race was represented. It was the first time I had met both Damu and JWinterNightwolf, both good brothers in the human family. My daughter and his daughter played together and exchanged phone numbers. Alas, we were on our way to California for a few months, but I always tuned in for Spirit in Action, if I was able. They made me feel loved and accepted. I'll never forget Damu meeting me and after we spoke, "he gave me a hug"! This man was for real! He was special. His spirit will be welcomed in heaven, but his legacy will go on forever! He was the founder of Black Voices for Peace and he was also involved in environmental justice. God bless our Brother Damu Smith.
Rest in Peace, Brother Damu, Amen and Amen
http://www.clearspring.com/widgets/4914a9a34cbcc3dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home